Thursday 5 April 2012

The Music Man

This month I have been considering which show to concentrate on, and finally decided on The Music Man, which is a selfish choice and a sensible one. I am currently in rehearsals with Loughton Operatic Society for a performance of this show at the end of April, and am therefore becoming more and more immersed in the story and characters. I am taking part in the chorus, and helping to source the required props (including brass instruments for the Boys' Band).

The Music Man is the story of a travelling salesman in Mid West USA (Iowa) who comes to town to sell instruments and uniforms to the parents of the town's children, by persuading them that they need to form a Boys' Band to “keep your young boys pure”.  The story tells of his efforts to woo the town's librarian to his cause, and how he changes attitudes within the town, together with his personal tale of falling in love and therefore not being able to leave when he normally would to avoid the wrath of the townspeople, who have been “conned” by his charm into spending lots of money on instruments and uniforms.

This is my second time of venturing on stage with The Music Man, the first time as a young dancer making the most of the energy in “Shipoopi” and miming my way through the library scene; this time I am a more mature (and larger) lady of the Del Sarte dance troupe led by Eulalie Mackechnie Shinn. I am having great fun with the possibilities of comedy moments in this pastiche of Isadora Duncan's style of dance. ( At least that's the way I am playing it!)

More next week.... I have to go in search of some more books. How many constitute a library I wonder?


No comments:

Post a Comment