Monday 9 January 2012

West Side Story


A real challenge for any society, West Side Story has everything, dancing, singing, love scenes, fight scenes, tragedy and comedy. So where to start? The first time I was privileged to be a part of the team performing this fantastic musical we started with 2 months of exercise and dance training, learning steps and upping our stamina to be able to cope with the rigours of this energetic show.
As with any amateur company we had differing levels of experience, some with all round “triple threat” talents, others learning all from scratch. I had been a dancer for a long time, but my principal training had been in ballet, and I had to learn the intricacies of back drops and rock and roll lifts, plus I had never learned to read music, so singing was also a new experience, especially the lovely harmonies required for the Quintet (Tonight).

I was lucky to take the part of Graziella (Riff's girlfriend) which meant I was included in the “Cool” number, (which position is swapped in the stage version to the film with Officer Krupke, so Riff sings it in Doc's store before the War Council) and part of the “Jets”. Even now I am surprised by how quickly one identifies with one's gang.

The second time I was in West Side Story I belonged to the Shark girls, and had to completely re-think my attitude even before starting rehearsals, almost to the point of deciding not to take part. Almost, but not quite, the pull of the show is such that I would sweep the stage just to be part of the production, so a small matter of changing sides isn't going to stop me.

The emotional connections made by immersing myself in rehearsals for 6-8 months at a time to the music and lyrics have stayed with me ever since, and I am often to be found quoting lines of dialogue or lyrics in all kinds of situations. “It's when I don't look that it happens” is a favourite taken in or out of context!
So much so that in rehearsals for other shows afterwards we ended up with a “Quotes” box (like a swear box) for every quote that did not belong to the current production. A small way of fund raising and maintaining concentration!

To be continued ...


If you have a story to share about West Side Story please add a comment or contact me via the website www.thedramaqueensdrawers.co.uk





No comments:

Post a Comment